Saturday, July 20, 2013

Summer at Patio Paradise

Lettuce and Chocolate Mint
This the happiest plant in Patio Paradise. That and the Bell Pepper. The other residents seem a little fried and tired. I'll admit it, I'm not a good waterer. Lucky for me, Tennessee has plenty of rain and in the cooler months, I can ignore the watering needs of my plants for a good week. In this hot weather, though, it needs constant attention and I constantly fall short of those goals. Oh well, I've realized that even the worst looking plant, staring death in the face, can come back to glorious life with just some good watering and mulching. My Lettuce and Mint plant above recently came back from the brink and now seems even more powerful.

Same plant from another angle. That's Basil in the front.

This plant makes me happy. It's pretty and functional, sitting in an old coffee can. It's been to hell and back. I get it. Sometimes life kicks you around, but you can always come back.

I am much enjoying the summer. With only my Patio Paradise to tend to, I am spending so much more of my time delving in the fruits of summer and not the hard work of summer. My CSA box from Green Door Gourmet is full of tomatoes, corn, green beans, and many other delectable hot weather vegetables. Gavin and I are splitting our time between the pool and long walks in the humid shade. Usually summer is not my favorite season. It's lack of total concern for my comfort keeps my focus on fall and spring as my favs. But, this summer is becoming something special. And I wonder if it has something to do with the presence of our newest family member.



Gavin is so inquisitive and full of wonderment, especially when we are outside. The hot sticky air is welcomed if the look of joyful awe will appear on his face when I take him outside. Life with Gavin is brighter, colorful, and more fun. And I think that many mothers would agree with me about their own little ones. I am one of the blessed, that's for sure.

Hello, Peppers!!
I'll leave you with this picture. There's 5 peppers on this plant. Count 'em, FIVE. If you want to farm your land, do it. Even if your land is a tiny, wooden balcony, or a 2 foot stretch of tired dirt, farm it. It'll bring you more pleasure than you think. And you might be able to feed yourself once or twice.

Happy Summer to you all!



1 comment:

  1. What an amazing Patio Paradise and an inspiration! I love your garden. It makes me happy, too. Happy growing!

    ReplyDelete