Wednesday, June 19, 2013

To Choose or Not to Choose

It's all about choices, people.

That's the lesson I've been learning over and over again. The past few weeks have been challenging- financially. And when money is tight, we all know stressful thoughts show up. And then the worries come waltzing in like they were invited. And before you know it, your mind is packed full of unhappy visitors, complaining about everything under the sun.

We've been in this situation before, as has many, many other families. Unexpected bills, loss of jobs, broken down vehicles, the list goes on. And in the past, I've opened my mind to a whirlwind of negative thoughts, believing that living in panic mode would somehow solve all of my problems. By worrying about all the things I could not control, I believed I was helping. Oh, how wrong I've been. Lets face it, worrying and stressing out DOES NOT help the situation. What they do is make it worse. They cause ulcers, tears, fights with the ones you love, and many sleepless nights.

This time around, I'm trying something different.

Gratitude.

I believe we all have the choice to decide how we feel. We choose to think stressful, worried thoughts and or we can choose to think grateful, loving thoughts. Of course, this simple idea gets convoluted if you're not aware of your thoughts and feelings. But, finally I am at a place where I am aware of most of the thoughts running through my mind and I can yell, STOP. I halt those negative thoughts and throw them out, like they were a drunk looking for a fight. And what can I replace them with?

Gratitude.

Thinking grateful thoughts have made all the difference. Focusing my attention on all the blessings in my life makes me feel lighter and peaceful. Even if it's only a second before those catty, nasty, worrisome thoughts sneak back in. That's one less second of my life that I'm worried. Or stressed. Or pissed off. Or sad. When life is unpredictable and sometimes short, doesn't every second count?




1 comment: