Friday, May 31, 2013

Buzzy as a Bee

The turtle we almost ran over.
It has been a BUSY month of May. And although it has been busy, I've had a lot of fun.


We took a week long road trip to the Midwest visiting the great states of Missouri, Kansas, and Iowa. When we returned home, we prepared for the following weekend which happened to be Gavin's baptism. Now this week, life has began to slow a little and I can catch my breath. And I find myself being able to do a little more of this....
My Balcony Garden
I've accidentally created a little Patio Paradise, just outside my living room. When the need to garden took over my thoughts-- I couldn't imagine anything more pressing than a garden, I started planting seeds in all the potting soil I could scrounge together on the sheltered, sun-starved porch. To my great surprise, everything is growing all so well! Turns out this little wooden trapezoid gets plenty of sunshine and rainwater. Some of plants that have thrived are:
  • Strawberries (we're going on at least 8 berries and more are turning red!)
  • Greens: Lettuce, Kale, Chard, Spinach
  • Red Pepper plant
  • Peas 
  • Herbs: Rosemary, Cilantro, Peppermint, Chocolate Mint, Feverfew, Basil, Dill


 Last week I picked these lovely greens from Patio Paradise, using them in my smoothie. It really hit me then that I GREW those greens. It had been a long time since I had brought produce in from the garden and I'd thought it'd be a long time still. Boy, was I wrong. I grew that food with hardly any space, hardly any money. Since then, I've felt a renewed sense of hope for a Farm-less Farmer like me. I know there are many others out there, reaping bounty in seemingly fruitless and greenless cities across the country. We grow food because we know it can be better. It tastes better, it's healthier, and it's better for the world. 

I come outside in the mornings and sit down, taking a deep breath. I can smell the plants, the dew, and something more that fills me up and makes me whole. In this moment, this is all I need. And I think that is what makes me a Farmer even in a Farm-less world.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're making your own farm paradise with the means that you have. I can't believe the beautiful plants you have. Enjoy the fruits of you labor, Farmer in a Farm-less world!

    ReplyDelete